Monday 12 September 2016

My English Language Learning Journey

English has always been a challenge to me as growing up in a Chinese-speaking family. I have had no interest in it. As a result, my grades during my Secondary school days were extremely poor, to the extent of failing my ‘O’ Level English. Even then, I never thought about considered improving it, as I felt it wasn’t important at all.

It wasn’t till I joined Republic Polytechnic. The requirement of presenting and doing reflection journal every day came as a culture shock. I was terrified as I’m afraid the slides I made was were insufficient to get my points across, or when someone question me how I came to that conclusion I couldn’t explain myself well, to a point where my teammates would explain for me instead. The inability to write in simple sentence structure properly along with a limited vocabulary and multiple grammar mistakes I tend to make; reflection journal became a nightmare.

It was a wake up call for me to improve my English. I started seeking help from my classmates, not just on how to explain or write it but understand why is it done that way. Certain modules such as Cognitive also helped me in some way as I learn learnt how to write in proper sentence structure structures, how to rephrase sentences when needed and how I should improve my communication.


Upon graduation, I am glad that I felt my English has improved throughout the years in Polytechnic. It became easier for me to come up with my own slides and explain it myself when needed. , and Communicating with others in English wasn’t as difficult as it was before. Nevertheless, it is still a work in process progress as I hope to further improve myself through other ways. 


Revised on Sunday, 18/09/2016.


Commented on Zainab's, Keith's, and Lin Feng's posts. 


4 comments:

  1. Coherent flow of reflection as you mentioned on your progress stage by stage. Therefore, resulting in a complete reflection as well. Well done, Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some minor problems in the reflection:

    1. i have no interest in it
    >>> (wrong tense) i had no interest in it

    2. even then, i never thought about improving it
    >>> (wrong word form) even then, i never considered improving it

    3. ...doing reflection every day came culture shock
    >>> (i think it's just overlooked) doing reflection every day came as a culture shock

    4. ...i'm afraid the slides i made was insufficient
    >>> (wrong tense)...i'm afraid the slides i made were insufficient

    5. ...sentence structure properly along with a limited vocabulary
    >>> (grammatical error)...sentence structure properly along with limited vocabulary

    6. ...and multiple grammar mistakes i tend to make
    >>> (sentence structure) and multiple grammar mistakes

    7. ...seeking help from my classmates not just on how to....
    >>> (grammatical error)...seeking help from my classmates, not just on how to..

    8. ...Cognitive also helped me in some way as I learn how to write in proper sentence structure
    >>> (grammatical error)...Cognitive also helped me in some way as I learnt how to write in proper sentence structures

    9. I learn how to write in proper sentence structure, how to rephrase sentences when needed and how I should improve my communication
    >>> (can improve parallel structures) I learn how to write in proper sentence structures, rephrase sentences when needed and improve my communication

    10. It became easier for me...and communicating with others in English wasn't as difficult as it was before
    >>> (can split into two sentences) Communicating with others in English wasn't as difficult as it was before

    11. ...still a work in process
    >>> (wrong choice of word) ...still a work in progress

    All in all, it's good that you are improving yourself in the language! Let's improve together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Daryl, for this honest reflection. It is very self critical, showing that you have decided to act on the "wake up call" and improve your skills. I appreciate your perspective on growth in the long term. Even the effort with this task and with the letter demonstrate a willingness to embrace change.

    I look forward to working with you this term!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daryl

    It was pleasant to read how English has positively impacted and changed your life. Your article is clear and I can feel the sincerity regarding your past efforts to improve English.

    I believed our classmate Zainab has given a in-depth problem assessment for your article. I just wanted to add, for your 2nd paragraph, there was slightly run-on sentence. You may consider using transitions and connectors in between points you want to deliver.

    All in all, I believe in your efforts to improve english. While most of us have similar problems, thus lets work hard to improve and achieve our goals.

    Regards
    Khia Meng

    ReplyDelete