Thursday 24 November 2016

Analytical Reflection - Oral Reflection

I’ve always thought delivering a presentation would be a piece of cake. But after the presentation to the class, I realized it is not as easy as it seems.

In the past, I always rely on slides filled with all the words I want to say. But after learning what are the do’s and don’ts for a good presentation from the links provided to us and the information gain from other classmates, I realized I have to change my way of presenting. Trying to memories is the largest hurdle I have yet to overcome, especially knowing I have a bad memory.

During the team’s practice prior to the presentation, as I listen to the team’s first presenter, I forgot everything that I tried to remember for my own slides. When the actual presentation came, the same problem happened as I listen to the team’s first presenter while looking at the audience. With an empty mind, everything just went downhill. I lost confidence in myself, frozen on the spot, unsure of how to explain, hence dare not to speak louder in fear of explaining the slides wrongly. I kept trying to catch a glimpse of the slides, resulting in the overdependence on the slides and insufficient eye contact.

During the preparation of the powerpoint slides, I was lucky to have the other 2 members, to guide me on how to make the slides more efficient and impactful, how to make use of images instead of text to capture the audience attention and make them listen to what you have to say. 

Lastly, I feel a vast improvement is required of me to match with the expectation I hope to achieve. To do that, I have to find ways to memorizing my points easier and practice how to present more often to prevent cold feet in the future. 

Commented on Azrie's, Lin Feng's, and Rafiana's posts. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this detailed reflection, Daryl. The point that interests me is when you mention that memorizing is "a hurdle." I wonder if doing so is even the best approach. Couldn't you just 'memorize' the main points then talk through your section of the content? Have you even tried that? In the showcase did you memorize your bit?

    Whatever the case, thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daryl,

    Good job on the presentation showcase. There must have been a reason as to why your group was voted to represent our tutorial class.

    I used to have the same problem as you during presentations. Maybe what you can do is to worry less. Just remember that the presentation and content is yours. So whether you present every single detail or just some of it, only you will know about it. I believe knowing this, you will be less tense and worry less. It was nice having you around in class. See you after the break!

    Regards,
    Azrie

    ReplyDelete